Urban Aboriginal Healthy
URBAN ABORIGINAL HEALTHY LIVING PROGRAM
The Urban Aboriginal Healthy Living Program (UAHLP) provides a safe space for everyone, young and old, to have fun while improving their health. This program creates opportunities for community members to learn about healthy lifestyles and participate in active living endeavours. There are specific programs designed for:
- Women/ Men
- Seniors and People with Disabilities
6 sub-categories that will be addressed
- NUTRITION – Providing nutrition education including, healthy cooking classes, understanding nutrition, benefits of healthy eating and grocery shopping.
- PHYSICAL FITNESS ACTIVITIES – Focus on cardiovascular health including, exercises and activities that will increase heart rate and breathing leading to improved physical fitness and well-being.
- RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES – Adopting a more physically active lifestyle to enhance physical, mental, and social health.
- SPORT ACTIVITIES – Sports are an opportunity to improve both physical and mental health, as well as social health.
- YOUTH LEADERSHIP – Develop comprehensive program aimed at development of leadership roles for our youth.
- SMOKING CESSATION/SMOKE FREE LIVING – Activities geared toward promoting a smoke-free lifestyle, smoking cessation, support programs for those who have quit smoking, and role models for smoke free living.
Desired Health Outcomes:
- Incorporate healthy eating habits, knowledge of healthy nutrition, traditional diet, and healthy weight management.
- Increased physical fitness through organized sports and recreational activities.
- Incorporate healthy lifestyle, including cessation of commercial tobacco products and develop smoke free environments.
- Youth who are engaged and participating in leadership programming and positive community activities.
Other healthy living programs available to interested community members are:
- Smoke Free Living/Smoking Cessation
- Harm reduction kits/ condoms